Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Marriage vs. Affair

I'd like to make myself think my relationship with Christ is more comparable to a marriage, but if I'm honest with myself, I know it's really more of an affair.

The Affair
An affair that I take advantage of on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. We have our meeting time and place arranged each week. I put on the trendiest clothes I have, actually take time to look at what little hair I have left to fix. I put on a good smile, get in a good mood and use my best comic material to try to make everyone laugh. I try to make sure everything is in order so that my plans on those 2 days are generally uninterrupted.

Luckily, I don't have to do this everyday. I get a few days off between meeting times, keeps me fresh, you know, still trying to impress. I haven't gotten to the point where I don't care anymore about what the person thinks of me. I still have that nervous energy before, gives me an edge.

I even go so far to play some music. It makes me look good, more legit I guess. People generally assume everything is cool, and that I've got it altogether. That's what I want them to think. If not, I have to admit that I don't, that I'm weak, human. I go to great lengths to keep my affair disguised as best I can.

The Marriage
My marriage to my wonderful beautiful wife of over 13 years is amazing. We have tough times, but we both work everyday at trying to be better at being spouses. Granted, we have routines, tendencies and habits that we've had since day 1 that we still work at, it's never going to be easy. Although we both say and do things that we wished we had done better, or not done at all, it's a learning process. We work through those things. My wife sees the best and worst of me and the good thing is, is that she's okay with all my downsides, all my faults, all my negatives and all my fears.

This is what type of relationship I want with Christ. Something that happens everyday, every week. He already knows the best and worst of me, and still loves me unconditionally. I love Him for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment